Doula-versary!

#blessedday (Handmaid's Tale anyone?) Mama followers!

I'm at home in the trenches of potty training, catching my breath (and my patience) thanks to the short reprieve also known as nap time when I realized, "it's June 11th."

It's my official Doula-versary! 

I can hardly believe it's been a year, mostly because I've loved so much of this journey, even the lessons that have been harder to learn. It's honestly felt like reconnecting with an old friend, like placing a piece of the puzzle and beginning to see the picture come to life. I know things will continue to morph as I continue supporting birthing families, but there is something really amazing about finding something you connect with and enjoy doing.

It was terrifying at first. I'd convinced myself so many times that I wasn't ready to take the plunge. That I didn't know what I know, and I couldn't possibly be ready to be an advocate or provide this kind of sacred emotional and physical support. At the start of 2017 though I set an intention - it was going to be the year of me. That meant saying yes. Taking the plunge. Giving myself permission to be the expert, finally, and trusting that I would be ok exploring the person I was beyond motherhood again. 

I completed training on June 11th and Mama Sol Birth was born. I attended my first birth on June 29th, which as luck would have it, is also my wedding anniversary. Is that not a sign from the universe that I was on the right path or what? I'll never forget quietly slipping out of the hospital room in the wee hours of the morning to quickly wish my husband Happy Anniversary over the phone. I also never forget how happy I felt, because even though we were apart for our anniversary I knew I was meant to be there. It was the sweetest welcome to this work.



Since then I have:

become a Certified Lactation Educator and Counselor

supported 11 birthing families (that's 11 doula babies!) 

supported one refugee family

supported some miraculous first feeds

supported one triumphant hospital VBAC

captured babies on camera, between two words and mothers finding their strength

helped families discover the magic of babywearing

grown a love for Hypnobirthing

been introduced to an amazing community of doers and helpers

and even though I've given, what I've received in return has been priceless.

It has really been the best year.










It's a pretty special moment to hear a physician say aloud, in a full delivery room, that they are only there to help, and that the Mother is the only one who can birth the baby.









So if you're waiting and wanting to do something, go do it. Do it even though you're scared. Do whatever sets your sol on fire and own it. Own your birth. Own your motherhood. Own you journey. Give yourself permission to be the expert. 




Happy Doula-versary to my sweet doula sisters Chelsea (of Magnolia Birth Services) and Jamee too. This year certainly wouldn't have been so amazing without you ladies.




Comments

  1. Love it! Congrats friend. Keep living your life courageously. Its contagious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts