24 Week Update & Belly Wrapping

Happy Friday Mama Followers! 

We're 24 weeks. Praise be! 


Belly Wrapping

I noticed between week 22 and 24 we went through a bit of a growth spurt. I was really starting to feel the changes pregnancy was introducing in my lower back and hips, so I started using a ring sling for belly wrapping. A rebozo, woven wrap, or ring sling would all work great for helping sooth the feelings we get from loose joints and lower back aches. While we don't have much by way of peer reviewed research to support this tool, anecdotally we also know that belly wrapping has been used by midwives in many cultures and countries to help encourage optimal fetal positioning leading up to the birthing time. This is not some new trend invented by the "Crunchy" or more natural minded community like some may be thinking. There is a very rich, long-standing history of belly wrapping in many communities around the world. 

Wrapping your belly is also a great way to take some of the intimidation out of using your ring sling or wrap (pictured above) and get acquainted with using your babywearing gear. Using your wraps often during pregnancy will also help soften (the woven variety) them in preparation for all the babywearing you'll be doing postpartum. I've been using this woven Wildbird ring sling lately. If you'll be using a ring sling also some important tips regarding placement: you'll want to make your fabric isn't twisted and flows flat through your rings, you will adjust the width of your wrap to fit over your belly, one edge (or rail if your familiar with babywearing) will fall below your bump and one above, and you will position your rings comfortably at your side. You can then use the length of the tail for extra support by running it under your belly, across your back, or under the rings at your side (like picture above).


How far along: 24 Weeks

Gender: Boy number three, my reign as Queen will go unchallenged ;)

Nickname: Baby Dinosaur Coco 

Maternity clothes: Yes! I'm doing my best to workout and keep my body feeling good during pregnancy, so I did some investigating and found a great maternity and nursing friendly sports bra by Cake Maternity. It's the Cotton Candy seamless sleep and yoga nursing bra, and I love it. As far as bras goes, it's not the cheapest but when you consider that you can use now during pregnancy and for the life of your postpartum breastfeeding or pumping journey I think it's definitely worth it. Other than this new find, all the usuals that I've mentioned in past post are still in rotation.

Sleep: Good news on this front since I also discovered a new pregnancy pillow that's completely changed the amount of good sleep i'm getting! It's by PharMeDoc and I'll actually be sharing a post dedicated just to this pillow, that's how much I like it. Plus sleep is important, and getting a good amount of good, deep sleep is even more important and sometimes hard to accomplish during pregnancy.

Best moment this month: I turned 30 on May 28th and had the best day eating and adventuring around LA with my family.

Worst moment this month: Mentally, I've struggled more with weight gain and body changes during this pregnancy than ever did in the previous two. Prior to getting pregnant I had really overhauled my workout routine and eating habits to get to a place where I felt good about my body and was at a healthy weight. So when this pregnancy began one of my intentions was to continue this in the hopes of limiting weight gain. Even with working out 4-5 days a week I have still had weight gain that is slightly more than what is medically "normal." It's been a little frustrating, but I feel like this is just how my body does pregnancy.

Miss anything: sushi and wine. I literally had a dream about having a delicious glass of sparkling wine the other night!

Movement: Yes, tons! These have also changed in the last week or two from feeling light and gentle to firm and strong. Which in a lot of way has helped me navigate my feelings about my body changes since stronger movements only reaffirm that my body is doing what it needs and this little guy is growing.

Cravings: Spicy foods and ice cream.

Queasy or sick: Nothing!! 

Looking forward to: still waiting for the boys to be able to feel this little guy kick. They're so excited about "their baby."

Comments

Popular Posts